THE BEST KEPT SECRET #2




istockphoto.com

Note: Please excuse the font issues



I like the advice my Mom gave me. She.said, "Eat what you want, but do it in moderation." Now that I am a senior citizen, I have made some changes. I try to eat homemade low cal muffins and  breads during the week. I keep bananas, carrots, and zucchini on hand to make muffins or breads with. I make a dessert on the weekends. I have learned to use cake mix as a base and turn into flavorful cookes, muffins, breads, and cakes.  I had to use this method because I have weak grip in my hands. I love baking pound cakes but only do it on special look occasions.


I reserve bacon, sausage, and eggs for Sunday breakfast. I  do like cooking  meat for dinner, especially poultry. Casseroles and one pot wonders with meat are my "Go To" meals during the week. I let beef, chicken, turkey, or pork be a part of my meals on Sunday.

I avoid deep fried meats, so 

I purchased an air fryer. This was a very good investment.

I have cooked  several recipes given in my air fryer recipes book that came with my fryer. I discovered that dollar tree has mini

five inch pans that fit my air fryer perfectly.


I am a bargain hunter but I am not an

extreme coupon clipper. I get weekly emails

from my local grocery stores informing

me about seeking sales on meat and 

other groceries. I have learned what meats

to buy when the sales aren't that great. 

I'm going to share the meat bargains that have helped me out since I'm on a fixed income:


I like grocery stores that have meat sales from Wednesday to Wednesday. I visit them

on Tuesday morning because I  usually find several kinds of meat marked down,

called Manager's Special.


I buy chuck eye steaks instead of rib eyes.

They are cheaper & very tender. Ask the butcher to help you find them.  There is never a lot of them in the meat counter.


I buy beef stew meat because I can use

it for stews, soups, & chili & other Mexican dishes. 


I buy 4 pounds of ground beef chuck when it's on sale.  80/20 ground beef is cheaper but has more fat. 


Store brand ground turkey is cheaper than brand names Butterball & Jennie-O. I buy

these brand names ground turkey when t hey're on sale.


Canned chicken and turkey by Swanson, Crider, & Bumble Bee are great for Chicken Salad if your budget is tight sometimes. The premium white chicken breast chunks are a good choice.There are probably other brands available but these are the brands at my local stores.


I buy turkey parts like wings and legs.

They can be baked or grilled & great

for meals for one or two people.


I buy boneless pork & beef ribs since

usually cheaper than bone in beef ribs 

& pork  baby back ribs.


I check gourmet meat section too. This meat is seasoned or marinated & packaged in

black containers with colorful wrappers.

This meat very perishable & I can find

it marked down often. Especially

the ranch flavored chicken legs & Mighty Spark brand turkey & chicken  burgers.



I hope these tips I have shared will be helpful to my online friends. Meat prices

have been higher these last few weeks,

so knowing how to bargain shop is smart.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!