THE BEST KEPT SECRET!









bagamall.com


I have been a bargain hunter for many years. I honed my skills after I became a mother with two boysWe
and also had a  disabled  spouse. Now I am a widow who is retired and live on a fixed income. My budget
is further strained by the increase in Medicare premiums, gas and groceries. I'm not going to whine 
and complain. The Lord is my ultimate  source and He helps me figure out ways stretch my dollars.

I love to make jewelry and have a storage box full of jewelry findings.This term is reserved for earring
accessories and necklace and bracelet parts. I feel like I have discovered Grocery Secrets & Findings 
 at my local grocery stores. I am going to  share some store brand named items that are just as tasty 
to me as the national brands. There are cuts of meats that can save you  money. I just checked online 
for the best way to cook these cheaper cuts of meats. I'll  start off  sharing Grocery Store Secrets &
Findings I have  discovered with fresh produce.



 Fresh Produce


mobile-cuisine.com

I have grocery  shopped enough to know that no grocery store has perfect produce 365 days a year.
Even organic produce can look bad some days. I have gotten so many bags of green potatoes.
They look pretty under the store lights but have a green hue when I get them home. Therefore;
I just buy red potatoes since they are usually good quality. I buy the bag of baby red potatoes
when the regular size are not on sale.  I like cooking with the rainbow colored bell peppers but
they are expensive. I have discovered that the baby sized rainbow peppers are cheaper. 
I prefer healthy romaine and leaf  lettuce but the numerous recalls on unwrapped lettuce has 
been a  problem. A few grocery  stores offer bagged romaine lettuce but you have to buy
a package of three. I  buy green onions with the roots attached.. I keep half of them in
the storage bin in my fridge. The other  half goes in a jar of water which I keep in my kitchen
window. I always have a supply of green onions and rarely have to buy more. I just cut the
 tops off for cooking and they grow back quality again!!  I also have endless supply of
celery. I buy stalks of celery and cut the bottom half off. The celery bottoms are placed in
shallow dishes with water. I keep them at a sunny location on my counter and a few weeks 
later roots and celery leaves appear. I plant the new celery plants in a pot outside when they
get 5-7 inches tall. Celery is a cold weather plant but I cover it when hard frost is forecast.
I move the celery to a shaded area in the summer. My celery grows very well if soil kept moist.
I only purchase Roma tomatoes but they are good quality and taste great. I have an allergic 
reaction sometime to the other tomatoes. 


21food.com


I like  root pineapple tops in the winter. I buy one or two whole pineapples and twists the tops off. 
I discard some of the  outer leavesnso they can fit into a jar of water. I keep them in a window 
that gets full sun. The pineapple tops usually  have numerous roots by the time spring arrives. 
I put the rooted top(s) in a large planter since it grows fast in the spring and summer. 
I keep the pineapple plants covered up on my deck during the winter since they are
Tropical plants. 

I hope I have helped the shoppers who were not aware of these Grocery Store Findings.
I forced myself to learn container gardening because  I was concerned about all of the 
fresh produce recalls.  I have been gardening for 5 years now and have some
type of produce growing outside all year long. 





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!