SENIOR LADY QUICK MEALS! PART 1


 


https://www.delish.com/



I must face it! I live alone and I have no

one to cook for!  I am a widow and my 

sons have left home! I no longer have

to plan meals and cook hearty meals 

for my husband and sons.  Frankly,

I used to love cooking more than doing housework.  


My friends and I used to take turns

serving brunch once a month. 

I enjoyed cooking an elaborate brunch 

for my friends.


Now,  the Virus, COVID-19 has invaded

my life. I am staying at home most of 

the time. I don't visit my friends anymore. 

We don't serve brunch any more because

of the government social gathering rules.


I still love to cook but I had to change 

my cooking methods. The new rule is,

cook less, cook tasty, and be budget-conscious

Dollar stores are a Senior Citizen's

best friend. I stock my pantry with

spices, canned meats, can veggies, 

pasta sauce, breakfast foods, dairy

products, baking staples, snacks 

and desserts from the Dollar

Stores. 






I purchase frozen veggies, frozen 

cooked meatballs and frozen bags

of chicken thighs and drumsticks

from the grocery store.  


I like the bags of frozen food because

I can reseal the bags after removing a single serving. I also buy fresh meat 

if it's on sale.  I re-pacakage the meat

into single servings in zip lock bags.

 I  label and date the meat and stack 

it in the freezer.  If I buy perishable

items like lettuce, tomatoes, fresh

veggies, I cook meals that week

that contain these ingredients.


A well-stocked pantry is a must. 

I walk-in pantry isn't always necessary

I purchased a four-tier shelving unit 

and attached a colorful curtain to the

top of it. A three or four-tier bookcase

or cabinet will work fine too. I placed

the pantry at the entrance between 

my kitchen and living room. This 

makes my pantry look like a 

room divider.





https://www.pinterest.com



I always have spices like, onion and

garlic powder, Italian seasoning, dried parsley,

dried chives, paprika, and packets 

of chili mix on hand. You don't have

to be a gourmet cook to use spices. 

Any of these spices can perk up

veggies and meats. Sandwich bread expires before I can use it up. I buy 

five-count refrigerator biscuits, 

tortilla shells and dinner rolls 

or buns instead. 


A quarter-pound of ham or turkey from

the grocery store Deli has less sodium

and tastes great too.  I have a sandwich

and low sodium potato chips for a meal

often. I can try out new flavors of deli

meat since I am not buying a lot of it.


My "Senior Lady Quick Meal"  recipes

will be located in,  Part 2.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!