SENIOR LADY HOLIDAY MEALS UPDATES! PART 2

     





My Thanksgiving meals always include cornbread dressing. 

I follow my mom's recipe for making cornbread dressing. 

She never stuffed her dressing inside the turkey cavity. 

She only used Pepperidge Farm Stuffing in the yellow bag.

I also add butter, day old bread, dried rubbed sage, sauteed onion and celery, and turkey broth to my dressing like she did.

 

This year I'm serving herb dressing along with the corn 

bread stuffing. I was watching a cooking show and the 

cook made herb stuffing with apples and walnuts! Wow, 

what a unique recipe! I tweaked the recipe when I tried

it. I also added ingredients I felt my family would like

in the herb dressing. I made herb dressing with celery, 

onions, diced apples, chopped walnuts, cooked pork 

sausage, mushrooms, cream of celery soup, and broth.






I love gravy with most of my meat dishes. I must serve

 gravy with my Thanksgiving turkey and dressing too. 

 Mom made her gravy from a roux of browned butter

 and flour. She added the roux to the turkey broth and

 simmered the gravy until it thickened.  I am too tired 

after cooking the Thanksgiving meals. This method is too much work.  My gravy making method is quicker. I strain

 the turkey broth and add it to a pot. I make a slurry with 

flour, espresso powder, and some turkey broth. The slurry

 is added to the pot of broth. The gravy is simmered 

until it boils and thickens. 


Herb Dressing and Gravy




NOTES;


*  MY FAMILY USES THE WORDS STUFFING

AND DRESSING INTERCHANGEBLY!

* AVOID GREASY GRAVY: NO BUTTER

NECESSARY IF YOU HAVE RICH CHICKEN

OR TURKEY BROTH.

*  ADD CUP OR MORE OF CUBED  DAY-OLD

 BREAD (BISCUITS, BUNS, SANDWICH BREAD) 

TO IMPROVE TEXTURE OF THE DRESSING.

*  NEVER USE PLAIN WATER IN THE

STUFFING/DRESSING.  USE CHICKEN

OR TURKEY BROTH FOR SAVORY TASTE.

*  EGG AND/ OR CREAM OF CHICKEN,

MUSHROOM OR CELERY SOUPS

ADD MOISTURE TO STUFFING/DRESSING.

* FRESH SAGE LEAVES CAN BE FRIED

IN BUTTER.  REMOVE LEAVES BEFORE 

SERVING. ADD FLAVORED BUTTER

TO YOUR DRESSING & GRAVY. THE

SAGE LEAVES CAN BE USED AS 

GARNISH.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!