CELEBRATE MOM WEEK, HISTORY






I am a mother, so I can speak from experience,
we need celebrating.  I do not know too many 
young mothers that do not do the juggling act everyday.  They cook, clean, attend functions
at the kid's school, and care for their kids and husbands.  I can still remember the stress of 
being a working mother.  I was a stay at home 
mom for 2 years.  I can verify that the stay at
home mom works hard too.  

I'll feature many different subjects related to
mothers this week.  Today I'll  start with the
history of Mother's Day.

I did find the history of Mother's day on Wikipedia, 
the free online encyclopedia.  I love to read about
how traditions began.I am sharing an excerpt from Wiki:


 
The modern holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908,  when Anna Jarvis held a 
memorial  for  her  mother in  Grafton, West 
Virginia.She then began a campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized  holiday  in the
United States. Although she was successful 
in 1914, she was already disappointed with
its commercialization by the 1920s. Jarvis'
holiday was adopted by other countries and 
it is now celebrated all over the world.In this
tradition, each  person  offers a gift, card, or remembrance  toward their  mothers,  grand
mothers, and/or maternal figure on mother's
day.

Various observances honoring mothers
existed in America during the 1870s and
the 1880s,but these never had resonance
beyond the local level.   

Here is a teachers' website that you can get a printable copy of the History of Mother's Day:


MOTHER'S DAY HISTORY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS