SEED STARTING SMARTS!






https://parkseed.com








Once I started container gardening,
I learned tricks to save money on 
garden supplies.  I never discard the 
pots and tubs my garden plants
come in. Years ago, garden plants
were mostly sold in black 6-pack  starter trays.  Then garden centers
cut the trays down to 4-packs. This
year, my garden plants were in
single white and black tubs holding 
1 or 2 plants for $3.99! The customers complained so bitterly that cashier
got the manager to give us 2 tubs for 
$5.  I was grateful for the price cut.









I am glad I started saving the black 
trays a few years ago. They were
useful when I wanted to start my
seeds indoors. These trays made transplanting the seedlings easier
after the last winter frost.  Of course,
I am saving these white and black 
tubs my $3.99 garden plants came in. 
I sowed the seedlings from my Meyer 
lemons in them. 











I have so many empty
water bottles in my recycle bin. 
started saving a few to water the seedlings. These plants are fragile
and a downpour from my watering 
can might damage them. I just punched
three holes in the lid of the 16 oz
recycled water bottles. They were
filled with water from my rain barrel.
I was able to achieve a gentle water-
flow for the seedlings.  Making a
scoop from a 2-liter soda bottle
works great too. 






Plastic bags from the grocery store can be used to cover-up the seed trays after you sow them. 





https://www.gardeningknowhow.com



Discount stores' 9x13 baking pans
with the lids also make a cute greenhouse for sown seeds.






These recycled containers break
down and tear up after a while.
I just purchase 4 oz or 6 oz plastic
cups from my local discount store.
I just make holes in the bottom
of the cups before sowing the seeds.






https://www.walmart.com


Dollar store potting soil is great 
for sowing seed.  The small space
gardener doesn't  need the 20 pound
bag of potting soil from the "big box"
stores.
if  I plan to have 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!