HUMMINGBIRD LOVE!





https://www.audubon.org





NOTE: PLEASE OVERLOOK THE FONT ISSUES WITH MY SYSTEM.




I have been feeding hummingbirds 
for several years.  It is a hobby that

I really enjoy.  I continue to  "Stay 
at Home" more, because of 

COVID-19. I have more time to devote 

to birdwatching. I sit with my cup of 
coffee and let the hummingbirds 
entertain me.








I have learned more about their
behavior this year. Only one hummer
can drink from the hummingbird
feeder at a time. They start fighting
if another hummer comes by.  Two 
hummers came near my face while
they were fighting. They were in a 
frenzy hittng their beaks together!


These little cuties fly backward
and forward as they swarm down
from my Mape tree. Their humming 
becomes louder while they drink
nectar from my feeder. 

I see three species most of the time.
( Rubythroat, Green violet,  and
 Rufous hummingbirds )

















The hummingbirds have been very 
aggressive this year. One of the 
hummers sat on my potted Basil plant
which was located near my lawn chair.
I could see this little guy fluttering
near my shoulder. I was talking on
my cell phone. I was shocked and tried 
not to freak out!


I have experimented with different 
of types of hummingbird feeders. 
I have bought the expensive
and cheap feeders in the past.
The hummers don't seem to care, 
as long as I keep them filled sugar 
water.  

MY DIY HUMMER NECTAR RECIPE:


1 CUP WATER
1/4 C SUGAR, HEAPING


This year I'm using the typical large
feeder with a clear top and red bottom. 






I saw a smaller hummer feeder online.







I prefer this style because  my 
DIY nectar spoils quickly in the 
summer heat.  I love crafting and
got an idea of how to make my own
small feeder.  I had some empty fast 
food containers that were ideal for 
this project! The lids were red 
and the container was about 2 inches 
deep. I used a nutcracker pick to make
several tiny holes in the lid. 








 I filled the container with my DIY 
hummingbird nectar. I set it next to
my large feeder. Those little cuties 
figured out how to use this mini feeder
within a few minutes. The hummers
are having a ball drinking from both 
feeders. I think I have spoiled them!

I wish I was able to take a photo of 
the hummers drinking from both 
feeders. They move too fast or I am
too slow to capture this. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!