Wednesday, August 7, 2024

SENIOR LADY: GROW CELERY ALL YEAR!

 


 














I love watching videos about gardening. Five years ago,
 lots of videos were about, regrowing grocery store 
vegetables. I was intrigued and tried to regrow a
few of them.  Most of the veggies had to have roots
on the bottom.  Beets and carrots on grew bunches 
leaves.  There were no new carrots or beets to harvest.
The only veggies I could regrow successfully were 
yellow onions, green onions, leeks, and celery.

I usually buy new celery stalks when I want to 
replace damaged celery stalks in my tote.
My celery stalks can be harvested all year
long. My five-gallon blue tote stay full of
 celery because I add new celery roots when
grocery store has it on sale. The celery in
the blue tote shown below just had the
"big chop"

Here is how I regrow celery:

I remove celery stalks from the
plastic bag. I cut the bottom
half of the celery off the
stalks. 







I remove the first layer of cut stalks
from the bottom.  This is necessary
so the celery will fit into my cup.





 

I place the celery in the cup and add enough 
water to cover the bottom of the celery.
I set the cup of celery on the counter near
my sunny kitchen window. Amazingly, leaves
 will began to appear after two days. However,
white roots will sprout from the bottom in
about two weeks.  I have more success with
regrowth if I have a few white roots on the 
bottom of the celery.  









My tote is filled with potting soil, garden soil,
 shredded junk mail, used coffee grounds,
 and crushed eggshells. A hole was dug in the
 soil, then I add the rooted celery, covered it 
with soil and watered it once a week.  Celery 
prefers cold weather, so I cover the tote with 
heavy duty shade cloth during the summer 
months.  I shield the celery from hard frost
in the winter with white frost blanket covers.
Both of these steps are necessary, if I want 
to harvest celery all year long.







I usually harvest celery weekly
by cutting a few stalks and leaves
to use in potato salad, beef stew,
and vegetable soup. I have this 
 crop of celery for about three
years. I cut the celery stems and
 leaves very short when I harvest 
them. This method promotes healthy
 regrowth of new leaves and stalks,

I feel good when I grow my own celery. 
The cost of a bag of celery stalks has
increased very much. There are also 
recalls on celery sometimes. I only 
fertilized my celery with "Miracle
Grow" or day old brewed coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SENIOR LADY: MAKING ICED CAFE' AU LAIT!

  I used to shake my head at young people buying expensive espresso and caramel latte drinks. I couldn't understand why they waited in  ...