SENIOR LADY GARDENER





https://www.homedepot.com




I'll admit that retirement is a 

lifestyle adjustment. These 

adjustments can be positive 

or negative. People who are

workaholics may find retirement 

boring if they don't find ways to

keep busy. My retirement has
been joyful because I am no longer 

experiencing the stress of my mortgage

banking job.  I smile each morning 

because I arise at 8 am instead of

5:30 a.m. I can do my chores at my 

own pace and not meet deadlines.


Vegetable gardening has been my

passion since I retired. There was 

a lot of trial and error in the beginning. 

I am a better gardener since I took free 

community gardening classes.
Classes were offered for spring and

fall gardening. These classes were taught 

by Master Gardeners. One thing they 

pointed out was that the weather can

affect the success of your garden. 

Great gardening skills, great fertilizer, 

and great soil doesn't guarantee a 

bountiful garden. An unpredicted frost, 

excessive heat, too much rain, and

drought can damage your vegetable 

garden. I have had some success with
container gardening.  There are lots of 

videos and website to assist new 

gardeners.  You can get help with 

troubleshooting garden problems

and planting tips. 



I plan to start my fall garden soon.

I'm just waiting for collard, lettuce,

and kale plants to arrive at the garden

center. I'm so impatient. I've started

turnip, kale, lettuce, and spinach

seeds in toilet paper rolls.



I am sharing planting tips/methods 

that has worked well for me below:


SEEDS


I have had good yields from American Seeds. 
They are economical and can be found at some
dollar and discount stores. Some seed packets 
labeled " great for containers." I get seeds for
exotic vegetables from Garden Centers which 
are little more expensive.






CONTAINERS


Sow lettuce and spinach seeds in dollar store

dish pans. Use hot glue gun to make holes in 

the bottom of the pan. 
Sow seeds in good quality potting soil 

(have mixture of white perlite,  plant food, 

or compost).
Cover pan with recycled plastic grocery bags
and secure the ends This greenhouse method 
helps the soil stay moist and seeds germinate 
quicker. Soil should never be soggy soil since
it will rot the seeds.





www.usplastic.com



MY MINI GREENHOUSE FOR SEEDLINGS


Growing Zucchini from seeds almost 

guarantees success.
Sow my seeds in egg carton & placed  it 

in shaded area.  Had sprouts within 1-2 weeks.
Transplanted 4-5 inch plants to 5-gallon dollar store
buckets. Full sun and adequate watering worked
magic.




Large vegetable seeds sprouted quickly in 
covered peat pots &  toilet paper rolls. 

A little soil, 2 seeds, & water was placed in

the peat pots & toilet paper rolls.







https://www.amazon.com




MY TOILET PAPER ROLLS & KALE  SEEDLINGS




Childs 4-5 ft swimming pool great for planting mint

& strawberries. 

Made several small holes in bottom of the pool. 
Added Chocolate, Spearmint, Peppermint,
Pineapple, & Citrus scented mint &
potting. It looks beautiful in my front yard. 











MY KIDDIE POOLS WITH MINT & STRAWBERRIES



Two years ago we purchased & used 
5 gallon cloth grow bags for our container
garden.  We still use a few of them. 
I used scissors to cut small holes
in the bottom. They worked well &
are very sturdy.




https://www.amazon.com





Inexpensive black or white 2-5 gallon buckets
from dollar or discount stores made great 
planters for my container garden. Used
glue gun to make small holes in bottom. 
Stopped using tip of knife because this 
was risky for clumsy me.







MY 5 GALLON BUCKET PLANTERS




Raised beds are great. My son made 
mine from free recycled wood. He 
designed them to look like hug window 
boxes. Treated wood lasts long time
& withstand the weather.









Here are some images of my container garden. Used plants that were easy to grow:






PiNEAPPLE SAGE







 ORGANIC GINGER

 ( USED ROOT FROM GROCERY STORE)









GREEN BEANS IN RAISED BED







JALAPENO, CAYENNE, 

MARCONI PEPPERS














































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!