ANYTIME SENIOR GARDEN! #3





LYDIA'S TOTE GARDEN & MILO



I have been doing this "Compost 
Tote Gardening" for 4 months. 
The tote bins cost me $5-$6 at 
most stores. I decided to  make compost bins in 12 and 15-quart dishpans. They only cost  $1-$2 
at the discount stores. This
project has been fun!  I used 
plastic end tables after I used
up my recycled patio chairs. 
They were only  $7 at discount 
stores near my house.  I had 
some unused metal fern stands.
I  placed totes/dishpans on them
and added them to my tote garden
display.

It's amazing how big my dill, 
stevia, basil, and bell pepper plants 
got in 6-quart planters. 





I got 3-inch bell peppers and 
lemon cucumbers.  Dill plants
in my containers died last year.
The compost bin underneath my
dill must have been the key to 
a fantastic yield. I harvested
and dried dill two times.







TIPS THAT HELPED MY PLANTS:


+MAKE SEVERAL HOLES IN PLANTERS & BINS.  
(GOOD DRAINAGE IS ESSENTIAL) 



MAKE COMPOST IN BIN/DISHPAN:

ORDER OF ITEMS USED : 

+ LAYER OF LOOSE NATIVE
SOIL FROM YARD
+ LAYER OF GRASS CLIPPINGS
+ LAYER OF DEAD YARD LEAVES  
+ LAYER SHREDDED PAPER
( AVOID COLOR ADS/MAILERS)
+ LAYER OF COFFEE GROUNDS
MIXED CRUSHED EGGSHELLS
+FOOD SCRAPS WHEN AVAILABLE
( NO MEAT) 

+ THICK LAYER OF POTTING SOIL ON  TOP OF COMPOST. (THIS DISCOURAGES GARDEN PESTS &  CRITTERS ) ( KEEPS SMELL OF COMPOST DOWN AS IT DECOMPOSES)

DIY LIQUID FERTILIZER:

RECIPE #1  

STEP 1:

RECYCLE CLEAN 2-LITER SODA BOTTLES & GALLON WATER/ MILK  JUGS

STEP 2:

ADD TO BOTTLE/JUG ONE
OF THE FOLLOWING: 

RIPE BANANA PEELS 

CRUSHED EGGSHELLS 

WHITE RICE 

DAMAGED  LEAVES FROM 
KALE, SPINACH OR COLLARDS


STEP 3:

FILL BOTTLE/JUG WITH WATER 
AND PLACE CAP ON IT. LET WATER SIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE USING. (STINKY WATER WORKS BEST)



growinghome.org.


RECIPE # 2

MAKE COMPOST TEA:

STEP 1:

MAKE 2-3 HOLES IN FRONT OF
TOTE/BIN. 

STEP #2:

PLACE BUCKETS OR RECYCLED 
CONTAINERS UNDER TOTE
GARDEN TO COLLECT WATER
FROM COMPOST. USE THIS 
WATER (TEA) ON
PLANTS/HERBS FOR BETTER GROWTH.


PLANT PROTECTION:

USE SHADE CLOTH FOR PLANTS/ HERBS SENSITIVE TO HEAT ON 
HOT DAYS. 

DARK  COLORED TULLE  FABRIC 
MIGHT WORK TOO.

TULLE FABRIC FROST PROTECTOR 
FALL/WINTER GARDENS




https://www.walmart.com/











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I AM AGING GRACEFULLY, WELLNESS

SMC COLLECTIBLES, ANGELS

THE JEAN SCENE 4 WOMEN!